It looked kind of nice, but with the stroke and the other effects the FPS dropped pretty low, especially when cutting through a bulk of pieces, which involved a lot of animations. A quick googling didn’t really give us anything, and we decided to move on by simply increasing the minimum area of the piece, that could be still present on the screen. It allowed a smaller amount of pieces to be simultaneously drawn and animated, which boosted the FPS. The fade out effect was also removed, and all the plus sign sprites were moved into a batch node (which was dumb of us not to use in the first place):
The sound effects were done by writing a small convenience wrapper around the Simple audio engine. While implementing it, we bumped into the format problem: the .wav files we used, had to be converted into 8 or 16 bit PCM. In the other case they either wouldn’t be played at all or played with some noticeable cracking sound.
After all of that done we finally implemented the shop, where a user could buy stars if he/she hadn’t earned enough of them, while pacing through the game worlds, or share a picture in one of the social networks to get the stars for free:
At this point the competition’s time pressure was starting to get high and it was time to release the game to the public. Frantically fixing some late-found bugs, we uploaded the binary to the app store in the hopes of it passing its first review.
Once again, the resulting app can be found here